Monday, November 3, 2008

A ride on a gravel road


A odd find in the middle of Missouri, Arkansas. I ask where did that come from? She said it was here when we came here didn't know anything about it but said it came in handy to call her husband in for supper.








The Bennie gives a lesson on where to find the best pecan. Off we went in pursuit of pecans ,we went to a place call the boot heel of Missouri, round and round the country side then to a place call Pigget Arkansas. How did we get back in Arkansas? Down a gravel road to a house that had pecan trees. And this is how it went. Yes sir, Pawnee is the first pecan variety we harvest each season. Your first taste will tell you that Pawnee is unlike any other pecan you've ever tasted. Plump and delicious- in a word extraordinary. They have a rich taste that makes them ideal for baking. Can I take your picture? We fell for it and got 10 pounds of cracked pecans. Now the old joke that if you shake the family tree hard enough, you're bound to find a couple of nut. In the south.

8 comments:

Latane Barton said...

So far I have found more than a couple of nuts on my family tree. I think I'm really related to one. ha ha.

Winifred said...

That bell is amazing. I can just about taste those pecans.

Unknown said...

So true!! We try not to shake too hard around here. I love that bell, does it really work?

Charlene said...

You were in my part of the country. I grew up in a small town in the bootheel named Gideon which is about 15 miles from Piggot. When I lived in the St. Louis area, people would ask me about my accent certain I was from Alabama or further south. No, I would say, just from the Bootheel of Missouri.

The story I always heard about the Bootheel was that was part of land Arkansas didn't want. Back a hundred years ago, it was just swamp land.

Sheryl Crowe, the singer, is from Kennett and I read recently that she has designed a line of casual clothing and the name is Bootheel.

Glad ya found some good pecans.

Anonymous said...

A very good blog. What tree did you shake to get The Bennie from?

Renie Burghardt said...

I live on a gravel road, but I'm in the hills. Love the bell. And those pecans sound delicious. We get some pecan sellers on the square at this time of the year. I will look for Pawnee pecans. Oh, Piggot, Arkansas is a nice town. We have been there visiting the Hemingway, Pfeiffer Museum. A really neat place to visit.

Enjoyed this post and beautiful pictures, Patsy.

Renie

Unknown said...

Frank got you on his comment!! hahha

Patsy said...

That tree is so unique they have not named it yet, Frank.